Thursday, September 22, 2011

Smocked Nightgown


This is one of ten smocked nightgowns I made for Christmas last year.  This is Gracyn.  She is the daughter of my friend, Angie.  Isn't she sweet?  These are very versatile in that you can use just about any bishop smocking design.  The sleeves can be capped, short or long.  I've even used lace for the sleeves.  You can get the nightgown pattern here and here.  There is a child's pattern sizes 1-6, a girl's pattern sizes 8-14, and an adult pattern sizes 6-16.  I love this pattern because it is super easy to construct, and both front and back are smocked.  I also love that you can make a matching robe or just the robe by itself which I did for Rob's grandmother.  She doesn't wear nightgowns, but she always wears a robe, so this gift was perfect.  And the small adult size fit her frame quite nicely considering she is very petite.  I should have another pic of my little friend, Gracie, wearing her nightgown soon.  I used lace for her sleeves.  Oh, it's super hard to see in this pic, but Gracyn's sleeve were done using a wing needle on my machine and encasing a piece of DMC floss.  I have a setting on my Viking that allows me to basically make the edges look almost like entredeux.  Make sure you use silk thread with this technique; otherwise, the heavier thread will "fill in" your holes.  There is a name to this technique, but it escapes me right now.  Getting older is for the birds!

Angela

0 comments:

Post a Comment