Monday, May 13, 2013

A Perfect Mother's Day Gift Idea






My MIL loves it when the kids make her something for any holiday.  And this Mother's Day was no exception.  I actually had a painted tile given to me years ago, but it wasn't until last week that I had this "aha" moment.  I went to Home Depot and bought the tiles for $.15, the paint was $3.00 from Michael's and the clear coat was another $3.00.




My 9-year old son painted all of these himself with very little direction from Mom.   This is one of my favorites.



He loves lions, so of course he had to paint one.


He painted a bowl of fruit that I have sitting on my counter here.  It's another favorite.


We put felt pads on the back.

And this is the clear coat I used so the paint would be permanent.

My MIL is a big UGA fan like Robbie and me, so he had to paint the Georgia "G".

Robbie painted these in less than an hour.  I put several coats of the finish paint and let it dry in the sun.  It said to wait an hour between coats, but with our heat lately, it dried in 20 minutes.  And the total cost of the project was less than $7.00.  But I believe it will be priceless to my MIL.

Happy Monday!!
Angela







3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I always try to think of things for my grandchildren to make their moms and the other grandmas and this will be a perfect Christmas gift. I'll just have to time them for dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - Will this be on your Pinterest board?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. I hadn't thought of putting it on Pinterest, but I will now just for the reason you mentioned. I like different ideas on unique gifts.

      Delete