Monday, July 21, 2014

Pillow Case with flap and invisible zipper - Tutorial

I have a client who wanted a decorative pillow case but with a zipper inside to conceal the pillow.  I searched and searched and could find no information about construction.  I was going to settle for a pillow case with flap when it occurred to me that I could use the same principles to insert a zipper.

I found this tutorial at Michael Miller for a pillow case with flap. (scroll down until you see it on the right) I used the measurements indicated except I made 2 of the 12x21 and omitted the 8x21.

I installed an invisible zipper on the long side of the 2 12x21 pieces.  I'm assuming here that you know how to install an invisible zip.  Close the ends like you normally would.

Now attach this piece to your long 21x54 piece so you have one big circle.  And one little step after.

One side attached.
Now go ahead and measure and press your cuff.  You won't stitch it now, but this step will make it easier in a later step to turn your cuff.  Ask me how I know this. :)  My cuff is roughly 4.5".

And the underside.
Repeat for the other side making sure your zipper is at the bottom of your cuff.  I don't have a picture of this step for some reason. :(

Once that is done, you can stitch up your sides.  Pin your case together matching your seam lines and all raw edges.



Remember to open your zipper!!

Stitch both sides, finish the edges and turn right side out.  Press your case.  Don't press out your crease you made earlier.

See that crease where you pressed your cuff.  Pinch that crease and flip that whole piece to the inside.

Be sure to poke those 2 corners back to the inside.


And it should look like this.

Now all that's left is to stitch the cuff down.  This is very tricky with that flap inside.  I chose to stitch from one seam to the other as close as I could maneuver my needle, then went back to stitch down on top of those side seams.  I used my edge stitching foot to get as close to that seam as possible.  This will enclose the raw edges of the cuff to case seam.

And this is what it looks like inside.

And see the pillow inside when it's unzipped?

Now stand back and admire your new pillow case. :)

If I haven't made something clear, please feel free to ask questions.  I don't know if this is the easiest method out there, but it worked for me. And trust me when I say I tried many approaches.

Happy Monday!
Angela

0 comments:

Post a Comment